About Work-Life Balance
Work-life balance is about keeping a separation between your work and your play with proper prioritizing of your roles in each. This problem has become more prevalent and communication technologies have advanced. Now, even if you are not physically at work, your computer and cell phone put you in constant contact with work. Making it difficult to respect the boundaries between work and life/play/family.
The work-life balance is personal and individual, no two are the same and there is no exact science between what is the right balance. What feels like too much work to you may feel like too much leisure to another.
Symptoms of a Work-Life Imbalance
Recognizing a work-life imbalance can be difficult. Our ability to justify and reason what we should be doing can cloud our judgment. But when work and life are out of balance problems will arise in your personal relationships and/or your physical and mental health.
Signs that your work and life may be out of balance include:
- Bringing work home
- Increased arguments with family members about time spent working
- Canceling family plans or social plans for work
- Poor sleep and work-related dreams
- Teeth grinding during sleep
- Short temper with family members
- Upset stomach digestive issues
- Tension headaches
- Increased caffeine/alcohol use
Treatment and Counseling to restore Work-Life Balance
Achieving a healthy work-life balance will bring peace back into your life. The Therapy Today therapists can assist by helping you:
- Learn to set limits and boundaries with others
- Know when to ask for help
- Purposefully schedule social and personal time
- Review and possible reset life and career goals
- Incorporate your partner’s perspective on goals and boundaries
- Figure out the things that matter most to you and incorporating those things into your life